Logos RefTagger
Loving Life. Laughing Lots. Learning Always. Join me in the adventure of life as I seek to share the funny stories, the thoughtful ideas, and the passionate convictions of 'My Real Life.'

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Tyranny of the Urgent vs. The Necessity of the Moment



Ever find yourself in the midst of a snaking line of people reaching beyond sight in each direction? Security tape, ever intrusive airport security guards, slow-as-snail checkpoints, the discomfort of body odour that you know is not yours, people packed elbow to elbow, and the sudden overwhelming realization -- I have to go! Now! Nature is calling and there's no chance for leaving a message.
Usually I can "hold it" and I hate stopping for anything whether driving, working, or whatever I am focused on the task at hand. "Just get through security and I'll have lots of time to go on the other side," I tried to convince myself as I began to break out in a cold sweat. I hate losing my place in line...I found myself ignoring my bodies warning sights of discomfort (which normally is not a problem) until they reached a borderline explosive pain from my bladder to my kidneys. After an embarrassing exchange with a very helpful and graciously understanding security guard, I was relieved and back in line. However, upon examining the line, I found that I had lost more spaces "holding it" than if I had gone before the line at the first bodily warning message.
I learned some important lessons (at least upon reflection - whether I learned enough to change my future behaviour is yet to be determined). First, always listen to your body before it's too late. This should be obvious but I can be pretty "thick" sometimes (my wife would be happy to verify if there's any doubt). I am not as young as I used to be and cannot do what I used to do - a painful lesson that sooner learned will save the body and mind even though it leaves a scar on the pride. The second lesson contrasts the message of the "Tyranny of the Urgent" (an article assigned our student leaders for a class I teach tomorrow) which teaches that the immediate is not always the priority and can steal time and effectiveness. I learned that sometimes I need to listen to the moment. Take time for the urgent or it will grow to the unbearable. Sometimes as I rush through life micro-managing each moment into a sense-dulling frenzy of apparent accomplishment I need to attend to the here and now. I need to lay aside my single focus for a potentially more important moment at hand. Take some time to reflect, seek balance, live prepared for every moment, and by all means go when you've got to go!

0 comments:

 
blog comments powered by Disqus