Logos RefTagger
Loving Life. Laughing Lots. Learning Always. Join me in the adventure of life as I seek to share the funny stories, the thoughtful ideas, and the passionate convictions of 'My Real Life.'

Friday, May 6, 2011

Cell Phone Company Ethics



Cell phones are fast becoming a necessary part of our global lives. In fact, when I need to contact a student at WOLBI to whom I cannot send a text, I find myself frustrated by the strangeness of situation. With this developing dependency on technology comes the equally enslaving dependency on the companies that offer these services. Have you even been disgruntled through your interaction with a cell phone provider? I am sure I am not alone in my irritation with cell phone company ethics.

It should not surprise me that in our post-modern, no-morality-declaring culture that we have problems with ethics (our moral philosophy -the way we live out what we believe). The problem with moral relativity (a view that suggests there is no universal standard for right and wrong - this is oversimplified but will do for now. For further definition) is that everyone may have a different set of 'rules for life' or ethics.

This was obviously the case a couple weeks ago when a family cell was overcharged on a bill. "Not a big deal," I thought, "It happens to everyone." Until I phoned to get the charges reversed...
The company, which will remain nameless to protect their extreme guilty-ness, was apologetic but not overly willing to simply reverse the charges. Apparently this is a very difficult thing to do. Their response was, "We will credit the funds to your account." What!?

Does anyone else feel this logic is 'wrong-headed'? You take money from me that you are not authorized to take and then you want to 'hang on to it' until I may be indebted to you?!

Since when is taking someone's money without asking not stealing and thus, criminal? And if you steal and get caught, should you not repay what you took?! Call me crazy but is this kind of logic relative now too?

What amazed me the most was the complete lack of understanding that this is a morally wrong thing to do and very poor business ethics. Is it also normal for such a company to have no option for people to inform the company? I was told that their was no avenue for me to voice the concern other than the note flagged on the account. Thus I am resigned to simply inform and implore your readership to my cell phone fiasco plight.

Do you have any cell phone horror stories? I'd love to be an ear for your unanswered cry for justice. Feel free to leave a comment or send me an email.

All that said, I guess their is always another solution...you could always read How to Recycle Your Cell Phone.


Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

 
blog comments powered by Disqus